The smart, practical, versatile and affordable Citroen Berlingo has been named the 2015 Business Van of the Year.
Now in their second year, the Business Van of the Year Awards, sponsored by Low Cost Vans, have become the premier awards for the light commercial vehicle industry. And this year competition was even more fierce as the manufacturers battled it out for the top honour.
2014 saw an unprecedented number of new vans launched, while others were treated to upgrades and facelifts, making the job of the judges choosing the winners even more difficult than before.
The Citroen Berlingo scooped the top award of Business Van of the Year, while Volkswagen walked off with no fewer than six awards – for Best Local Delivery Van (Caddy), Best Utility Pick-Up (Amarok), Best 4×4 Double Cab (Amarok), Best Crew Van (Transporter), Best Finance Package for Van Owners and Best Service Package for Van Owners. Citroen also won the Best Heavy Van title with the Relay.
There were honours, too, for Fiat, which won Best City Van with the Fiorino; Vauxhall, which won Best Large Trades Van with the new British-built Vivaro and Nissan, which won Best Green Van with the eNV200.
Editor of Business Vans, Ralph Morton said: “The Citroen Berlingo is smart, practical and versatile, plus it’s affordable to run – no wonder it’s perfect for trades wanting a small panel van. For that reason it is our Business Van of the Year.
“The Berlingo, boasts the choice of two wheelbase versions and four payloads. With trim levels, four engines and two gearboxes, there’s a Berlingo to suit all trades wanting a compact van to carry out their business. But the model we would focus their attention on is the winner here – the 1.6HDi L1 625 Enterprise with its excellent built-for-business specification. The Berlingo is a great all-rounder supported by a network that understands the requirements of small business van operators.”
- Business Van of the Year – Citroen Berlingo 1.6HDi L1 625 Enterprise 75bhp
- Best Local Delivery Van – VW Caddy 1.6 TDI Highline 102PS C20 BMT
- Best City Van – Fiat Fiorino Cargo 1.3 Multijet 75 Tecnico Start Stop
- Best Small Trades Van – Citroen Berlingo 1.6HDi L1 625 Enterprise 75bhp
- Best Large Trades Van – Vauxhall Vivaro Panel – 2700 1.6CDTi 16v BiTurbo (120PS) L1H1 Sportive Start/Stop ecoFLEX
- Best Heavy Van – Citroen Relay Panel 2.2 HDi 35 L3H2 Enterprise 130hp
- Best Utility Pick Up – VW Amarok 2.0 BiTDI Trendline 180PS 4MOTION
- Best Double Cab – VW Amarok 2.0 BiTDI Trendline 180PS 4MOTION
- Best Green Van – Nissan e-NV200 Electric 80kW Acenta Auto
- Best Crew Van – VW Transporter Kombi 2.0 BiTDI T30 Highline SWB BMT LR 180PS
- Best finance package for van owners – Volkswagen
- Best service package for van owners – Volkswagen
Morton added: “The Business Van of the Year Awards are specifically designed to highlight the best vans, financing and business support programmes for traders, small businesses and small fleet van operators in the SME sector.
“The importance of our awards cannot be stressed too highly. Choosing the right vehicles for the job is a serious business and one which many van operators get wrong – sometimes with costly consequences and our readers can be assured of the very best quality if they buy and run these vehicles.”
The Judging Panel included: Duncan Ward, general manager – commercial vehicles, BCA; George Alexander, chief editor commercial vehicles, Glass‘s; Mark Cartwright, head of vans and light commercial vehicles at FTA; Rod Lloyd, managing director, Low Cost Vans; Eddie Parker, fleet LCV consultant at GE Capital Fleet Services; Marcus Puddy, director of commercial vehicles, Lex Autolease and Keith Hawes, chair of the judges and managing director of Magma Automotive Services.
Full details of the Business Van of the Year Awards 2015 can be found at: Business Van of the Year Awards 2015.